The night of my brothers rehearsal dinner Hayley started to get sick, she recovered in time for the wedding the next day (or so we thought). She was feeling better than the rest of us, Eli, Aubree, and myself all had a 24 hour date with the Swine Flu. While the rest of us were bed ridden Hayley got to spend the day with her Papa. We got better just in time to drive home on Sunday. Monday Hayley was more clingy than usual but I had justified her attitude to being tired from driving home the day before. Eli and I got the kids down a few minutes early due to her being so tired. Well about 3 hours later I went to check on her and she was a ball of fire. I immediately called the doctor, she said I need to get her to the ER asap. I grabbed Hayley and got her in the car, Eli called our good friend Erik and asked him to come down and sit with sleeping Aubree while we were at the hospital. While at the hospital they took Hayley's vitals and said it could be 6 hours. What 6 hours? I might not see a Dr until 4:30 in the morning? Couldn't I just wait until the her pediatricians office opened at 8? NO, we called our peds Dr and she said she wouldn't feel comfortable waiting the 4 hours. Thats when it started to sink in that our little angel was sicker than I could have imagined. Eli sat and held her until about 2am then went home to send Erik home and be there just in case Aubs woke up. Hayley and I got in to a Dr at about 3:30, the nurse was amazing she gave us a private room with a bathroom so that I wouldn't have to leave her or take her. The downfall to the room is I had very little cell reception so I couldn't call and let any of the grandparents know let alone keep Eli updated. I would have to text him, send it, and raise it up over my head for it to send. STRESS!!!
They weren't quit sure what was wrong with her so they did x-rays, blood tests, and we were waiting for a urine sample. A nurse would come in every 30 minutes to take her vitals, one time her temp was 104 rectal (BAD VERY VERY BAD), he told me to try and touch her as least as possible and to always have a cold cloth on her to try and bring it down. The dr. came and told me that if they couldn't find anything wrong they would have to do a spinal tap, I prayed so hard that they would find something to blame this all on. The dr came back and said she had a slight ear infection so no spinal tap. By this time it was 8:30 Tuesday morning a dr. from the pediatric unit came and told me that because of her high temp and the no urine out put if she didn't drink a cup of juice in the next 30 minutes they would have to admit her. I was so proud of myself I was able to keep it together while he told me this, then in walked my KNIGHT in shining armor. Eli took Aubs to school and called into work and came over. When I told Eli what the peds dr had said about the juice he was bound and determined to get her to drink it. Well needless to say we failed, it felt like when we had Aubree in the NICU trying to get her to eat. We were taken to the peds unit at about 10:30, Eli stayed with us until we had our room and then had to leave to take Aubs home for quiet time and then to my sisters (who saved me that week). Because she was so dehydrated in the ER they gave Hayley a bolus (a fast IV) and now we were on our 3rd bag on the iv and no out put. Our nurse said he wouldn't be surprised if she tried to cry and nothing came out, he also said their are 2 strings of the flu A and B, it was too early in the season for A and swin flu was part of the B strain. She tested positive for the B strain.
Needless to say they kept us for another night, Eli sent me home to shower and come back to sleep with Hayley. In the middle of the night she was finally hydrated and having plenty of out put. Wednesday morning she was doing so much better that she was actually playing with me. She had about had it with her IV, she was sick of getting tangled up in the cord. Eli was able to drop off Aubs at that saint of a sisters house again and come over to the hospital as they had decided to discharge her.
Whew what a relief, we just had to watch her and make sure she was getting enough to drink.
Watching Eli get her dressed to come home was a little flash back to when she was brand new and he was getting her dressed to come home for the first time. The only good thing that came out of this was now we didn't need to wait in line to get the vaccine because we lived it.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
When Haley was in the hospital in November.
Posted by Nicole at 8:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment